Welcome to Cummersdale Parish Council
Cummersdale parish is situated 2 miles South West of Carlisle, Cumbria, it is bordered by Orton parish to the West, Dalston parish to the South, and the river Caldew borders the eastern boundary. The parish currently retains its rural character with several farms and open farm lands.
There are three villages within the parish, Newby West and Garden village to the West and High Cummersdale village on the ridge above the Caldew valley to the East.
An earlier village existed beside the Caldew but it was finally demolished in the 1970’s, leaving only Hill House and the Print-works. The parish once extended to Shaddongate but with the City of Carlisle expanding, the modern parish has shrunk.
One of the National Cycle network routes passes through Cummersdale as it connects Dalston to Carlisle, the way being shared with walkers and cyclists. The Cummersdale section follows the River Caldew which rises in the flanks of Skiddaw and joins the Eden in Carlisle on its way to the Solway Estuary.
Cummersdale Village has a primary school built in 1884, a public house – The Spinners Arms built and designed by Harry Redfern in 1930.
There is a church part of St James Church of Denton Holme. The building was originally part of the Cummersdale Bacon and Ham Curing factory!
Another Bacon factory building was given to ex-servicemen in 1924 – the Embassy Ballroom now called Cummersdale Village Hall.
The village has a children’s play area, football pitch and a multi use games area. There is also “The Copse created by the Cummersdale Conservation Trust in 2004 planting native trees and shrubs on a un-used 3 acre field. From then wild flowers and spring bulbs have been planted.
The Parish Council has also created a car park for residents and school users and an allotment site behind the school, which allows the village residents to grow their own fruit, veg & flowers.